As the popularity of cryptocurrencies is increasing with every year, more and more scammers appear around it. Therefore, it is very important to protect yourself from any kind of fraud in the crypto world.
Here are the most popular Bitcoin scams and our tips on how to avoid them. Forewarned is forearmed!
1. Pyramid (or Ponzi) schemes
In this case, users can be lured by promises of incredibly high profits at extremely low investments. Here’s how a classical pyramid scheme works: the first investors attract new people from which receive profiteering. And when the flow of the new investors falls, the pyramid collapses.
How not to fall for a pyramid scam:
- Watch out when project organizers guarantee that “you will not lose money” or rush you with the words: “You need to invest as fast as possible, otherwise it will be too late”.
- Beware of crypto projects that push you to recruit new investors to benefit from bigger profits.
- Do not believe a proposal that promises returns that sound too good to be true.
2. Scams with fake wallets and exchangers
Here we are talking about fraudulent sites. Some pretend to be Bitcoin wallets, some look like exchanges, some are kind of both at once. Usually, sometime after registration, they work normally to put off your guard and earn trust. You peacefully deposit your crypto, the funds in the account accumulate — and the scammers vanish with your currency.
How not to fall for a scam:
- Go for well-reputed and popular exchanges and wallets.
- Try to verify the information about the selected exchange or wallet: explore the creators and their team, read the feedback in authoritative publications, websites, and forums.
- Be cautious of just created exchanges, wallets, apps, and browser extensions.
- Download apps and software from legal wallet providers and exchanges.
3. Cloud mining
The mining process requires good and expensive computer equipment, so some people offer “mining for rent” on their equipment. There are some legal cloud mining services that let users rent server space to mine coins. On the other hand, there are also plenty of cloud mining scams out there.
How not to fall for a mining scam and be sure that service is legitimate:
- Research before signing in and try to find the answers to the following questions: Is it possible to find legal information about the creators and the team? How long does a company exist? What computing power do they have? What kind of deposit and withdrawal methods do they offer?
- Priority should be given to a service, which is transparent and public. Check out its photos, blogs, videos with equipment and employees. Read reviews from users on which you can rely on.
This type of fraud has long been a weapon in the armory of online scammers. Malware in a crypto world is created to get access to your wallet and drain your account, monitor the Windows clipboard for crypto addresses and swap your valid address with an address of a scammer.
How not to fall for malware scams:
- Regularly update antivirus software.
- Under no circumstances do not download and install programs if not 100% sure they’re from a legal provider.
- Don’t open suspicious attachments.
The typical phishing scheme is extremely simple. The scammer sends the user an e-mail from the so-called crypto exchange or wallet provider in which the lurcher places a link to the fake website. The main goal is to force the user to go to the fake page and enter personal data (username, password, private key and so on). This confidential information allows theft to access the original website on behalf of the real user and walk away with the user’s currency.
How not to fall for phishing scams:
- Always carefully check all the links. Do not click on links from the messages from Internet services — instead, manually enter the address of the desired service in the address bar of your browser.
- Never reveal your private key.
- Use antivirus which has special protection against phishing.
You should remember that the risks of scam and speculations are everywhere. Make reasonable investments and never take big risks. And finally, guards up by following our pieces of advice.
Hope this article was useful for you. You are always welcomed to share your opinion in the comments below.
For all requests message us at email@example.com.